Modification And Enforcement Of Court Orders

As time passes, change is inevitable. This is true in all aspects of life, including life after divorce. If a change in your circumstances now requires the modification or enforcement of a divorce-related court order ― including child custody or child support order ― the dedicated legal professionals at the Family Law Division of the Lovett Law Firm are here to assist you in your time of need.

We can help with a wide range of modification/enforcement actions, including:

When Can A Court Modify Child Custody?

Under Texas law, there are a handful of situations in which a court can alter an existing child custody arrangement. For example, a court can modify the terms of conservatorship or possession and access to a child when such modification would be in the best interests of the child and one of the following three situations apply:

What About Child Support?

Similar to child custody, a court can modify child support if a material or substantial change in circumstances arises. This may include situations in which the medical needs of the child increase ― thus necessitating an increase in support ― or the parent responsible for making the payments experience a dramatic change in income. For instance, if the parent loses his or her job or, conversely, gets a promotion and wage increase, a corresponding change in child support may be warranted.

In addition, child support may be modified when the current amount being paid differs from the amount that would otherwise be required under the guidelines by either $100 or 20 percent, and it has been at least three years since the court originally ordered or last modified the child support payments.

We Are Here To Answer Your Questions

If you need to speak to an experienced lawyer about the modification or enforcement of court orders, contact us at the Lovett Law Firm today. With more than a decade of legal experience, attorney Nora Artalejo Lovett can address any questions or concerns you may have. To schedule a phone consultation or a meeting in our El Paso office, email us online or call us at 915-356-2222.

If you are involved in an unexpected or particularly difficult divorce or family law dispute, contact our Family Law Division in El Paso today to schedule a consultation with a caring and skilled lawyer.

(915) 356-2222